Yen Strange is one of the rising acts on the music scene that we’re excited about at Just Jared, and we want our readers to get an exclusive chance to know her even better!
Following the release of her buzzy debut single “Donnie Darko” earlier this summer, the Moruya-born, Sydney-based singer-songwriter just inked a deal with Liberation Records and dropped her brand new track, “Go Away,” on Wednesday (October 13).
Click inside to read more…
The emotional, self-described “emo anthem” was released alongside a comic-book style visual from the team at We Made A Thing Studios.
“You know when you think people will be there forever, then one day you just don’t think that anymore? It’s so hard when things change. I don’t feel as sick to my stomach anymore when I think about it, but I still agree with what I said when I wrote this. There’s those people that you just want to waste every day with, and for a while you do, then one day it’s just not what it was anymore. I don’t want to see them, not because I hate them, but because I’d rather run from those old versions of myself,” Yen Strange says of the track.
Since releasing her debut track, she’s received plenty of critical praise, and racked up hundreds of thousands of streams, as well as appearing on big Spotify playlists, including Indie Pop and Fresh Finds.
Listen to “Go Away” and learn 10 Fun Facts about Yen Strange…
1. I like trains. I grew up 5 hours out of the city, we didn’t have a train station, so now that I live in Sydney I just absolutely love catching them or seeing them pottering along.
2. The IT Crowd is my comfort TV show. My sister pirated it or something when I was like 13 and I’ve loved it ever since, but she only had the first season on her hard drive so it remains to be my favourite and most familiar few episodes.
3. I produce my own music. I started mucking around with production on my sister’s old laptop when I was about 16 and since then I’ve just been getting better and better so now I’m pretty good at using Ableton and making beats etc.
4. This year I started skateboarding. A guy I was seeing was a skater and one day I thought I’d have a go on his skateboard to see if I could impress him and to my surprise it wasn’t as scary as I remembered it being when I was a kid. So now me and my housemates go skating in the city and at the park and stuff quite a bit. It’s a lot more fun than jogging.
5. I grew up in Moruya, a small town in NSW Australia So my parents both grew up on rural farms and ended up buying property in a small town obviously. Moruya is pretty cool, the beach is really close, but yeah pretty boring.
6. My first instrument was piano My mum started teaching me basic piano when I was 5ish? Then I started actual lessons at 7 and did all the grades and classical bullshit until the end of high school.
7. I was very socially awkward at school School was easy on the academic side of things. I was a raging nerd and was usually at the top of my classes, but I just didn’t know how to talk to people. I had a couple of friends but mostly just went to the music rooms at lunch and played piano or guitar etc.
8. Driving is my down time. My car is my best asset, I love having the freedom to get away for a couple hours and just sit in my car, or blast my speakers going 110 on the highway.
9. I’ve never broken a bone Bravery is not my forte, I rarely do things that are physically adventurous, and I managed to reach my adult years without ever breaking a single bone.
10. I make my bed every single day To leave one’s bed unmade is an utter disgrace in my books, I just never do it. Even if I just get up in the morning and go have breakfast, as soon as I leave the sheets I pull the covers up nice and tight and place my pillows and stuffed toys in my exact arrangement and I’m ready to take on the day.